Transcendental Bloviation

Politics, Space, Japan

Thursday, July 22, 2004

My double standard on abusive comments

In an earlier comment section, I have mildly upbraided jqb for descending to invective against one of my detractors. I will tolerate invective against me from my detractors, and against anyone purporting to support what may or may not be my point of view. If people want to undermine their arguments against me with bad rhetoric, that's fine. It saves me work in assessing possible biases, provides me with blogfodder, and amuses the more level-headed in the peanut gallery. But I sure don't want my arguments supported by the worst kind of rhetoric.

I may soon enact a policy of removing any and all comments against my public detractors if they contain scurrility or abuse of any kind. Enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friends; even when they are my friends, as allies, the least they could do is be above this kind of thing in public. (In private e-mail, it's more of a consenting-adults, S/M kind of thing. I'm OK with that.)

To anyone who thinks the above proposal would be a stupid policy: I hereby declare you a babbling fool, mutant pond-scum, and a traitor to the human race. Because that's the kind of shrieking, hysterical hypocrite I am.

6 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger jqb said...

> I will tolerate invective against me from my detractors, and against anyone purporting to support what may or may not be my point of view.

So I can get a free ride if I say you're full of crap? :-)

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Michael Turner said...

jqb finds a loophole. Oh, drat.

JUST for saying I'm full of crap? Lemme think about this ... OK, I'm no Talmudic scholar, but I think this is fair: if you must descend to vitriolic invective against my detractors, you must ALSO say something even worse about me in the same comment.

Illustrative example:

"[So-and-so], you're a mentally defective wingnut, even if you don't quite approach the hideously cretinous level of that rabid, syphilitic moonbat, Michael Turner."

Just be consistent about it, that's all I ask.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger No Hassle Loans said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger No Hassle Loans said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Bandar Bola said...

I am truly inspired by this online journal! Extremely clear clarification of issues is given and it is open to every living soul. I have perused your post, truly you have given this extraordinary informative data about it.

 
At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Sbobet said...

After read a couple of the articles on your website these few days, and I truly like your style of blogging. I tag it to my favorites internet site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site also and let me know what you think. Dewa Poker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home