Transcendental Bloviation

Politics, Space, Japan

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Horror, the Horror

I'm sure everyone has seen some film version of Donovan's Brain, Curt Siodmak's classic about the disembodied brain of an evil genius, controlling people telepathically. (Orson Welles did it as a radio show in the 40s, and the story started life as a novel -- the idea has amazing cross-media vitality.) Here's something interesting Siodmak wrote once about cycles in the popularity of horror films:
The popularity of horror films and current historical trends are interrelated. Horror stories and horror movies are safety valves for human anxieties. During World War Two there was a renaissance of the Frankenstein, Wolf Man and The Invisible Man stories. That trend lasted until the war's end. Though the cloud of the horrors of war permeated our everyday lives, motion pictures of heroic soldiers mowing down hordes of enemies only increased anxieties, since everybody knew that one machine gun couldn't liquidate five thousand Nazis and that fathers and sons were in the battleline facing death. But abstract horror movies--the Monster kidnapping the fair lady, the Wolf Man anxiously watching the moon which could change him into a murderous beast--were highly successful thrillers. Their horrors were detached from reality. When the audience left the theatre they knew they had seen a fantasy.

The day the war ended, the bottom of the horror movie industry fell out. Even Germany, having shed the Nazi spirit, liked only "Schnuitzen," insipid love stories, all sugar and spice. Horror pictures couldn't even be given away. In the United States the musicals and comedies had their heydays. Then, with Truman's cold war policy, with Russian and American atom bombs and other apocalyptic weapons against which there was no defense, horror pictures returned in quantity. They peaked in the early 1950s with the election of Eisenhower and with the cold war abated for a time. Then, they again faded away. But with the Kennedy, Johnson and later administrations and renewed world tensions, the horror movie cycle returned. Again the world's accelerating insecurity tried to find release in horror films and horror novels. As the danger for humanity increased even more with sophisticated weaponry, so the theme of horror pictures grew in magnitude. Disaster pictures like The Towering Inferno and Earthquake tried to top each other; the mental horror films like Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and The Omen presented stories of devilish possession as though the world were ruled by Satan and humans had no power.

And here's something I found while trying to find out how many more horror films are being made now than before the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq:

Top grossers
More guts and more gore mean more money at the box office

By Bonnie Britton

March 19, 2006
Moviegoers -- especially the younger ones -- are flocking to horror flicks these days like gulls to Tippi Hedren in "The Birds."

But you won't find too many flicks like those tame Alfred Hitchcock classics or movies starring Dracula, Frankenstein and the Werewolf.

Many newer horror films, including "Saw II" and "Hostel," come splattered with blood and guts. Flicks that revel in dead teenagers, rollercoaster crashes, serial killers, creepy things in the woods/town/building and finger-lickin' cannibals are becoming common fare at multiplexes.

[....]

Lionsgate's bloody and brutal "Saw II" took in $87 million domestically in 2005 ($131.4 million worldwide), making it the top-grossing horror film of the year. That's more than the Academy Awards best-picture winner "Crash" took in, which ended its domestic run with $53.4 million.

The article quotes, um, authorities on the subject:

Purdue University Professor of Communication Glenn Sparks, who studies the effects of mass media, offers a reason why people enjoy scary movies: "The feeling of fear generates a lot of physiological response."

Sparks said studies have found that watching horror movies causes the skin to release moisture and increases a person's heart and respiration rates.

Well, duh.

"People come out of these films oftentimes feeling a sense of euphoria," he said.

Yes, but why? Could it be that sense of relief -- "It wasn't real, we're all OK?" There's not much more depth in the analysis of studio execs. Or maybe they know the truth, but don't want to bum people out?

Marc Weinstock, executive vice president of marketing for Screen Gems/TriStar, calls horror movies a "communal experience. When you have 300 people all being scared at the same time, there's a lot of energy in the room."

Yes, but that wouldn't explain why there's money to be made in direct-to-video horror flicks, typical viewings of which result in one, two, or maybe as many as three people all being scared at the same time in the same room. Maybe when Weinstock talks about "energy in the room", he's really thinking about all the cash in the till back at the box office.

For a sense of what all the splatter is about, maybe we have to go back to Curt Siodmak, who spent about 90 of his 98 years writing, a lot of it in the horror genre, most of it forgettable (or in some cases unforgettably bad) but some of it truly timeless:

Horror stories and movies of anxiety are here to stay until the world's tensions diminish. To a writer's mind, global catastrophe might accelerate the world's quest for a solution to its problems. All this sounds rather grim. It is. Many great minds work on plans of how to rearrange the world we live in without fright and fears. The blueprint of the continuation is being worked on. Does mankind have the will to carry it out? When the monsters die for good, the world might have died with them. Or we might have found a way to live together with a sense of social justice and ecological stability.

I'm all for that, so long as it doesn't result in a food chain where my neighbor has a right to eat my brain if I forget to compost my lawn trimmings. Film treatment coming next week.

29 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I hope horror movies are here to stay forever, but have to confess I must be getting a little prudish in my middle age ... I wish today's horror movie directors would as much accent on suspense as they do simple gore

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous kamagra said...

This film is amazing, I'd like movies in which someone can control and feelings of someone else, the protagonist is so evil because controlling people telepathically, that's the most exciting part.m10m

 
At 4:33 AM, Anonymous depression treatment said...

The closing paragraph tells it all in my opinion. I need to say that I agree with it, and essentially the most fantastic thing about it's that you just left it open ended…this exhibits that you are ready to draw in new and totally different opinions and that you're ultimately very interested to see individuals getting involved within the subject. So, any alternative opinions?

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous stop snoring mouthpiece said...

The closing paragraph tells it all in my opinion. I need to say that I agree with it, and essentially the most fantastic thing about it's that you just left it open ended…this exhibits that you are ready to draw in new and totally different opinions and that you're ultimately very interested to see individuals getting involved within the subject. So, any alternative opinions?

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous home remedy for head lice said...

After studying this posting, I pondered the exact same level that I invariably wonder about when scanning new blogs and forums. Just what do I think about this? Precisely how should it effect me? This and extra posts in your weblog proper here certainly give some stuff to look at. I essentially ended up here by way of Yahoo after I was very first doing a little web examine for some course perform that I have. At all times superb occasions looking via and I’m hopeful that you will carry on writing new posts. Cheers!

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous cholesterol lowering foods said...

Hi Webmaster, commenters and all people else !!! The blog was completely implausible! A lot of nice info and inspiration, each of which we all want!Keep ‘em coming… you all do such an incredible job at such Ideas… can’t tell you how a lot I, for one respect all you do!

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous anti cellulite cream said...

Merely wish to say your article is as tonishing. The clearness in your publish is solely spectacular and that i can assume you are an skilled on this subject. Nicely along with your permission enable me to seize your rss feed to maintain up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks one million and please keep up the gratifying work.

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous baby eczema said...

I like your format, the fact that your webpage is definitely a tad bit distinctive makes it so helpful, I get fully fed up of viewing the identical stuff just about all the time. I’ve I simply chanced on this site by you Thanks a lot.

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous blemish removal said...

I havent any phrase to appreciate this post.....Actually i'm impressed from this post....the one that create this submit it was a terrific human..thanks for shared this with us.

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous premature ejaculation control said...

I wish to thank you for the efforts you may have made in writing this article. I hope the identical best work from you in the future as well. Actually your creative writing talents has impressed me to start my very own BlogEngine blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a high quality instance of it.

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous stop smoking aid said...

Can I simply converse what a elimination to find famous person who really is acquainted with what theyre speaking relating to on the web. You completely acknowledge find out how to carry an matter to mild and build it significant. Extra individuals must learn this plus understand this aspect of the narrative. I cant believe youre no more in style since you positively have the gift.

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous natural colon cleanse said...

This really is certainly Superior experience having writing and many because of yahoo search engine choose up me on here. I beloved studying your content and added to the book marks. The strategies you used to position up was clearly understandable. My husband additionally appreciated after studying this post. Let me go through for extra earlier.

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous asthma medication said...

The closing paragraph tells it all in my opinion. I need to say that I agree with it, and probably the most fantastic thing about it is that you left it open ended…this shows that you are ready to draw in new and totally different opinions and that you are ultimately very interested to see folks getting involved in the subject. So, any various opinions?

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous rheumatoid arthritis diet said...

Once I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new feedback are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any approach you can take away me from that service? Thanks

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous insomnia cures said...

After reading this posting, I pondered the exact same level that I invariably surprise about when scanning new blogs and forums. Simply what do I take into consideration this? Exactly how should it effect me? This and additional posts in your weblog right right here actually give some stuff to look at. I essentially ended up right here by way of Yahoo once I was very first doing some internet examine for some course perform that I have. All the time superb occasions looking by way of and I’m hopeful that you'll keep on writing new posts. Cheers!

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous asthma treatment said...

Fairly good post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and needed to say that I have really loved studying your weblog posts.Any approach Ailing be subscribing to your feed and I hope you put up again soon.

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous yeast infection home remedy said...

Nice points…I would notice that as somebody who actually doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (in reality, this can be my first post), I don’t assume the time period “lurker” could be very flattering to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in any respect, but perhaps the blogosphere could give you a better, non-creepy title for the 90% of us that enjoy studying the posts.

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous snoring solution said...

As on the lookout for quite a while for locating a helpful articles or weblog posts with reference to this unique challenge . Researching in Google I lastly came upon this weblog post. Studying this So i'm happy to say that I’ve obtained a fantastic impression I came across no matter I wanted. I most definitely will you should definitely keep in mind this weblog and look constantly.

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous lower back pain treatment said...

What an ridiculous collection of well finished articles, it feels like now-a-days everyone seems to be simply copy/pasting and stealing content on a regular basis, but I assume there's nonetheless hope in sincere blogging.

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous stop smoking said...

Hello administrator, I’ve a little request. I had been just googleing for some info on the subject you revealed and found this post. Some very nice materials you posted proper here. Can I if attainable talk about this submit on my new web site I am creating? This would be terrific. I'll examine again yet once more afterwards to find out how you replied. Many thanks

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous tendonitis remedy said...

Hello administrator, I’ve somewhat request. I had been simply googleing for some information on the topic you published and found this post. Some very nice materials you posted proper here. Can I if potential speak about this submit on my new web site I'm creating? This might be terrific. I will examine again but once more afterwards to learn the way you replied. Many thanks

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing to us.there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.I would like to join your blog anyway so please continue sharing with us. The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia
The Best Destination in Asia

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous muebles rioja said...

I saw so much helpful info here!

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous sex toys said...

I believe everyone ought to browse on it.

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous xlpharmacy said...

I would like to understand it, 'cos this radio show hasn't enough time and it launched an interesting point of view, although, all its trends are easy to follow it. Particularly Donovan's Brain images.

 
At 4:59 AM, Anonymous www.guipuzcoa-3d.com said...

This cannot have effect in actual fact, that's what I consider.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous call forwarding said...

Fantastic post.I like your article.Very informative post.

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Bandar Bola said...

Thank you for posting such a useful website. Your weblog happens to be not just informative but also very stimulating too. There are a limited number of people who are capable of write technical articles that creatively. we are on the lookout for information regarding this topic. We ourselves went through several websites to find knowledge with regard to this.I will keep coming back !! Judi Bola Ibcbet

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Purple Pleasure People said...

Hi, Thanks for sharing information, Make your night as like you married, we have best sex toy in different size and color, just click dildo kopen and choose according your needs which fulfil your requirement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home